Many of the solutions out there either only work with Turbolinks and don't gracefully degrade, or track multiple page views on the initial page load. To get around this, you need to take the following approach:
- Move the Google Analytics script from the
<head>. Modify it to not actually track the pageview -- you just want to initialize Google Analytics.
- If the browser supports Turbolinks, and Turbolinks is initialized, set up a callback to track pageviews on every page:change event. (With Turbolinks > 2.0.0, page:change is called on full page loads, as well as Turbolinks-driven page updates.)
- If the browser doesn't support Turbolinks, or Turbolinks is not initialized, track the pageview.
Here's a coffeescript snippet that implements the approach above. It has a couple extra features which may be useful:
- Supports not tracking local requests -- modify the isLocalRequest() method to suit your needs.
- Supports multiple Google Analytics IDs -- test GoogleAnalytics.documentDomainIncludes('your-domain-name') in the analyticsID() function.
- If you need to manually track pageviews in your other Coffee/JS, just call GoogleAnalytics.trackPageview()
class @GoogleAnalytics @load: -> ((i, s, o, g, r, a, m) -> i['GoogleAnalyticsObject'] = r i[r] = i[r] or -> (i[r].q = i[r].q or ).push arguments return i[r].l = 1 * new Date a = s.createElement(o) m = s.getElementsByTagName(o) a.async = 1 a.src = g m.parentNode.insertBefore a, m return ) window, document, 'script', '//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js', 'ga' ga 'create', GoogleAnalytics.analyticsId(), 'auto' # If Turbolinks is supported, set up a callback to track pageviews on page:change. # If it isn't supported, just track the pageview now. if typeof Turbolinks isnt 'undefined' and Turbolinks.supported document.addEventListener "page:change", (-> GoogleAnalytics.trackPageview() ), true else GoogleAnalytics.trackPageview() @trackPageview: (url) -> unless GoogleAnalytics.isLocalRequest() ga 'send', hitType: 'pageview' page: location.pathname @isLocalRequest: -> GoogleAnalytics.documentDomainIncludes "local" @documentDomainIncludes: (str) -> document.domain.indexOf(str) isnt -1 @analyticsId: -> # your google analytics ID(s) here... 'UA-XXXXXXXX-X' GoogleAnalytics.load()
Related Issues: #166
Credit: Jonathon Wolfe
All solutions should be considered unofficial. There is no guarantee that a given solution will work with your application. If you find that a solution is insufficient, please let me know by submitting an issue on Github.